Preparing our Fields with Prayer and Fasting
Prayer and Fasting will improve our relationship with Jesus. It is NOT about producing results it is about strengthening relationships!
Isaiah 58:3 Why have we fasted, they say, and You have not seen? Why have we afflicted our souls, and You take no notice?
Why Does PRAYER AND FASTING Work?
God’s Premise and Promise: IF we are obedient THEN God blesses!
Deuteronomy 30:15-20 Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between life and death, between prosperity and disaster. For I command you this day to love the Lord your God and to keep his commands, decrees, and regulations by walking in his ways. If you do this, you will live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you...
But if your heart turns away and you refuse to listen, and if you are drawn away to serve and worship other gods, then I warn you…that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live a long, good life…
Prayer and Fasting Puts the Lord in the CENTER of our Lives!
Zechariah 7:4-7 Then the word of the Lord of hosts came to me, saying, say to all the people of the land…did you really fast for Me — for Me? When you eat and when you drink, do you not eat and drink for yourselves? Should you not have obeyed the words which the Lord proclaimed through the former prophets…
Prayer and Fasting REMINDS US that God Gives Life
Hebrews 1:3 The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command…
Prayer and Fasting Develops Spiritual Muscle (Discipline)
1 Corinthians 9:27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
Prayer and Fasting will Unburden Our Souls Releasing God’s Peace
Isaiah 58:6 Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?
- Repentance: To loose the bonds of wickedness
- Renewal: To undo the heavy burdens
- Restoration: To let the oppressed go free
- Release: Break every yoke
Prayer and Fasting will Bring Change to our Lives, our Church and our Community
Isaiah 58:7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh?
- Sharing: To share your bread
- Serving: Bring to your house the poor
- Strengthening: Cover the naked
Prayer and Fasting helps us to LISTEN to the Holy Spirit in order to Receive God’s Direction/Guidance for Living
Isaiah 58:8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
- Direction – your light shall break forth
- Healing – your healing shall spring forth
- Protection – righteousness shall go before you…the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard
We are Praying and Fasting that the Lord will use our Church
Luke 4:18-19 …to preach the Message of good news to the poor…to announce pardon to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to set the burdened and battered free, to announce, this is God's year to act!
- To build and maintain a healthy community
- To saturate our community with God’s love
- Salvation of friends, family and co-workers
- God’s healing of individual lives, marriages and families
- Our ministry to our children and youth
- Our commitment to give our time, talents and treasures
- Loving God in front of people and loving people in front of God
Hebrew 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need